SEOUL – North Korea on Monday launched four ballistic missiles, three of which fell into Japan’s exclusive economic zone in the Sea of Japan, the Japanese government said.
There were no immediate reports of damage to ships or aircraft in the area, Japan’s top government spokesman, Yoshihide Suga, said at a news conference in Tokyo, calling the latest missile launch a “grave threat to national security.”
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe separately told reporters that the missiles traveled around 1,000 km. He later said at a Diet session that the remaining missile also fell near the EEZ.
Japan has filed a protest with North Korea over the latest missile launches, according to Abe.
Suga also said the launches are in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions adopted against North Korea, banning it from developing nuclear arms and missile technologies.
In Seoul, Yonhap News Agency reported earlier, citing South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, that a possible intercontinental ballistic missile had been launched at 7:36 a.m. from North Korea’s northwest in an apparent protest by North Korea against a joint military drill by South Korea and the United States that began last week.
Trump Inherits a Secret Cyberwar Against North Korean Missiles
Sunday 5 March 2017 07.42 ESTLast modified on Sunday 5 March 2017 08.10 EST
South Korea will quadruple the cash reward it offers to defectors from North Korea who pass over classified information about the reclusive state, reports said on Sunday.
The government currently offers up to $217,000 to defectors from the north with sensitive information about the state and its regime.
It is now offering $860,000 (£700,000), the first increase in reward money in two decades.
The rewards would go to “people who provide intelligence and knowledge that can enhance South Korea’s security”, the Yonhap news agency reported.
The sums paid would be determined on the basis of the importance of the intelligence, Yonhap said. Other amounts would be given to soldiers who defected with weapons.
A TOP military expert has revealed exactly how the US military will ‘take out’ North Korea’s nukes if Donald Trump gives the green light for deadly strikes.
After the rogue state carried out another missile test and following the assassination of Kim Jong-un’s half brother it was reported the President is on the brink of ordering direct military action.
Trump reportedly sees North Korea and its despotic leader as his number one overseas challenge – and it is one he has pledged to tackle head-on.
Now a senior analyst from Stratfor – which provides strategic analysis to the US government – has told Business Insider exactly how Trump’s military could potentially carry out crippling strikes against the hermit kingdom.
The US would have to choose between a full-scale destruction of North Korea’s nuclear facilities and ground forces or a quicker attack on only the most important nuclear facilities.
Agence France-Presse in Kuala Lumpur
Sunday 5 March 2017 09.36 ESTLast modified on Sunday 5 March 2017 11.10 EST
Malaysia has expelled North Korea’s ambassador, giving him 48 hours to leave the country in a major break in diplomatic relations over the assassination of the half-brother of the North Korean leader.
Kim Jong-nam was poisoned on 13 February with deadly nerve agent VX. North Korea has repeatedly disparaged the murder investigation, accusing Malaysia of conniving with its enemies.
The ambassador was declared persona non grata after Malaysia demanded but did not receive an apology for Pyongyang’s attacks on the investigation, Malaysia’s foreign minister, Anifah Haji Aman, said.
“Malaysia will react strongly against any insults made against it or any attempt to tarnish its reputation,” he said in a statement released late on Saturday.
Ambassador Kang Chol failed to present himself at the ministry when summoned and is expected to leave Malaysia within 48 hours, the statement added. The deadline is 6pm on Monday.
It was the largest number of executions in one day in Jordan’s recent history, said a senior judicial source who was not authorised to speak publicly about the matter and requested anonymity.
Government spokesman Mohammad al Momani told state media those executed included one man who was convicted of an attack last year on an intelligence compound near a Palestinian camp that killed five security personnel.
Another five were involved in an assault by security forces on a hideout by suspected Islamic State militants in Irbid city. The rest related to separate incidents going back as far as 2003.
Revealed: Tony Blair’s secret White House summit as he launches astonishing bid to work for Donald Trump… as his Middle East peace envoy
Blair attended a secret meeting at the White House to discuss working for Trump
- Held talks with Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner this week
- The former PM and Kushner have met three times in secret since September
- Could setback Theresa May’s hopes of forging ‘special relationship’ with Trump
Tony Blair has attended a secret meeting at the White House to discuss working for Donald Trump, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
The former Prime Minister held talks with Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner on Wednesday with a view to becoming a Middle East peace envoy for Trump.
This newspaper has learned that Blair and Kushner have met three times in secret since September, including their three-hour summit in the West Wing last week.
If Trump gives Blair the new role, it would mark an astonishing international comeback for the man whose reputation was left in tatters after the Iraq War.
And it would be a major setback to Theresa May’s hopes of forging her own ‘special relationship’ with Trump, especially as former Ukip leader Nigel Farage is already a close confidant of the President.
Blair’s wooing of the Trump family is also likely to re-open speculation about his close friendship with Rupert Murdoch’s ex-wife Wendi Deng, who is a friend of Kushner’s wife, Ivanka, Trump’s daughter.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that he will meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow to address developments in Syria and how to combat Iran’s military presence in the war-torn country.
Speaking at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting in Jerusalem, Netanyahu said Iran was seeking to exploit recent attempts to reach a political settlement in Syria in order to cement its military presence there.
“There is an attempt by Iran to entrench itself permanently in Syria, with a military ground and naval presence,” he said, adding that even without an agreement guaranteeing its long-term military presence in the country, Iran will seek to ensure it retains a foothold there.
Netanyahu also said: “There is also a gradual attempt to establish a front against us in the Golan Heights.” He would “express to President Putin Israel’s strong and resolute opposition to this possibility” when he goes to Moscow on Thursday, he said.
A Syrian pilot who crashed-landed his plane in Turkish territory was recovered on Sunday morning by a Turkish rescue team and taken to a hospital.
While no details on his condition have been released, the Turkish news agency Dogan reported that the pilot had been found 40 kilometers (25 miles) from the crash site. He was then taken to a police compound before being transferred to the Hatay region State Hospital.
Turkish officials said that the the aircraft, believed to belong to the Syrian military, crashed near the Turkey-Syria border Saturday night, with the Syrian opposition claiming to Turkish media that they were responsible for shooting the plane down.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told reporters that “we have information that a MiG model plane belonging to the Syrian regime” had crashed near the town of Samandag in Hatay province.
The New York Police Department is investigating a report of possible vandalism at a predominantly Jewish cemetery.
An NYPD spokesman said Sunday that the department’s hate crimes division had been notified of headstones found toppled over at Washington Cemetery in Brooklyn.
Assemblyman Dov Hikind tweeted photos Saturday night showing some headstones on the ground. The Democrat says he’ll go to the cemetery Sunday to see them.
The Washington Cemetery was previously targeted in 2010, when some 200 headstones were toppled.